My goals were simple… run without making noises associated with a fish-out-of-water, avoid injuries, and run a 5k before the end of the year. Nothing too lofty, but plenty good for me.
By July, I could run 3.1 miles straight - no walking. And no gasping for air. And no injuries. That left just one more goal: find an official 5k to run.
I settled on a Turkey Dash put on by the YMCA near my in-law’s house since that’s were we’d be for Thanksgiving. The weather would be cooler by then and I could use the intervening weeks to improve my time. (Almost every Saturday from late July until Thanksgiving found me running those three miles through my neighborhood.)
Finally, it was race day...
I run, therefore I stretch (because I’m all about preventing the injuries, remember?)
My fearless cheering squad braved temps in the 40s to support me. Lij selflessly volunteered to keep my sweatshirt warm until I got back to the finish line. Members of my pep club not pictured: my wonderful father-in-law, my awesome husband, and my other two selfless boys, who at this point were probably off winning candy at the carnival or climbing the rock wall or something... Who wants to wait by the side of the road to see mommy run by anyway?
...almost to the finish line. (Can you see me? I barely can and I know where to look…)
My awe-inspiring sister-in-law, about to finish a 5k just seven months after having twins… Hooah! (Alexander’s military contracts are rubbing off on me :)
Luckily, my goals didn’t include getting an official time from my 5k, because that didn’t happen. (I’m not bitter at all.) I figure I ran it in around 30 minutes. I’ll just have to run another 5k. Because now I want an official time, darn it!
There are some who have speculated that I’ll be running a marathon soon. While I do feel that I’ve caught a bit of the “running bug,” I don’t think I’m that crazy… yet.



5 comments:
Go, 767!!
You should very rightly be proud of yourself!
Thanks for the photos; I was a long-distance fan wishing I could be there!!
mamasmama
You look great :) They just started a 5 mile "steeplechase" run from the Oquirrh Mountain Temple to the Jordan River Temple and I've decided that's my new race. If you're ever up here in the fall you could come do it with me (one of the best parts is it's all downhill!!) Keep up the good work!
I am so impressed. You are awesome!
That first 5k is such an awesome accomplishment! It means you have transitioned from running being just plain painful and uncomfortable (where I start out at every time I pick it up again after babies!) to being actually quite decent. Way to go! You look fantastic btw - have you lost a ton of weight? I haven't seen you in way too long - can you tell?
girl, you look good! 'nuf said.
Post a Comment