Thursday, January 26

I’m Tired of Blanket Statements

I’ve made my share over the years, but I’m starting to realize that they’re risky business. For example…

Today I was stuck in traffic waiting behind an SUV with a bumper sticker that read “I’m Tired of Stupid People.” I couldn’t agree more. But here’s the problem… We’re all stupid at least once in our lives. More probably, we’re stupid in the neighborhood of a once-a-day average. And when you proclaim such a statement, on your fender nonetheless, it’s bound to come back and bite you. Why? Because everyone knows you said it. You have nowhere to hide when you eventually fall into your own broad category (stupid or otherwise). So, back to the driver…

As the light turned green and the traffic began to move again, the stupidity-adverse SUV driver ground through something like five gears and a clutch or two in an attempt to “peel out” and show his (yes, it was a guy) annoyance with the whole “stupid” traffic problem. Upon making the turn too sharply and too fast, he overcorrected to avoid hitting the sidewalk and nearly flipped his SUV in the process.

Watching all this unfold (from a safe distance), I was left to ponder his bumper sticker. I came the following conclusion: The problem with making blanket statements is that somewhere down the road you’ll find yourself wrapping yourself in that blanket. And that can be a mighty humbling experience. So, if you feel you must make one, the safest place to do it is in your head. At least that way no one can rub it in your face later. But for love of Pete, don’t do something like post it on your bumper (or your blog, for that matter). After all, anonymity… is like a warm blanket. And it’s one that you don’t have to feel foolish wrapping yourself in.

No comments: