Friday, July 14

Fancy That Friday – Great Food Mysteries

I enjoy sharing recipes. Particularly with my mom. I don’t know if she enjoys it, but I’m constantly experimenting with recipes and love having a sounding board. Plus, she’s just great at giving compliments on my inventiveness.


One recipe that I share a lot (probably because I love it. A lot.) is a chili cream sauce. My love for it is twofold. One, it tastes great. Two, it’s not a diet buster. It’s made with fat free half and half.


And now we come to the point of my post. Every time I mention fat free half and half as an ingredient I get the same reaction: “Can there really be such a thing?” Technically I wasn’t sure. So for you edification and mine I did a little research…


First, since I’m not a coffee drinker and wasn’t quite sure, I looked up what exactly real half and half is. Turns out it’s defined as a dairy product with a fat content of about 12%, so named because it is a mix of 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 cream.


Straightforward enough. But how do they make it fat free? Here’s the list of ingredients off the pint I have in the fridge:

Nonfat milk
Corn syrup
Cream 1
Artificial color 2
Sodium citrate
Dipotassium phosphate
Mono and diglycerides 1
Carrageenan
Vitamin A palmitate

1 adds a trivial amount of fat
2 an ingredient not normally found in half and half

Only 20 calories and no fat per 2 Tb serving.


So I guess it still is technically half and half, although I’m not sure how the cream part adds only a trivial amount of fat. Oh well. It makes my cream soups creamier and taste super yummy without adding fat. What do I care how they do it? Chalk it up to one of the many food mysteries that exist. What’s your favorite?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my house it is the Hot chocolate and postum creamer :) I love the flavored ones.

Just popped over from DYM. I am excited you are pregnant and I have to go now and read what your are having and how your pregnancy has been.:)

sweet mama entropy said...

Just for you Grauntie - the Chili Cream Sauce recipe:

Melt 2 tsp butter in a non-stick skillet.

Into melted butter stir 1 Tb flour, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp salt. (mixture will resemble a dry/semi-moist rub for meat).

Whisk in 1 cup fat free half and half. Stir until all the lumps are gone and the sauce begins to thinken. Excellent on fish or chicken.

Enjoy!

Amber said...

That souns waaay too complicated for me. I'll just take the extra fat, thanks. :-)