Besides, if you think the snapping thing is bad, you should see me someplace that’s noisy. Like the park. Or my living room. Then, snapping just doesn’t cut it. Then I whistle.
This also garners stares. And, at times, flat out laughter. But it should be noted that as with the snapping, the whistling is highly effective at rounding up my littles. They hear my distinctively lyrical whistle – think Gandalf calling Shadowfax opposed to Lassie come home – and the troops come running.
The trick to effective whistling as a form of child management seems to lie in developing an upbeat-sounding whistle. Mine, for example, starts out sounding urgent but finishes with an optimistic trill.
And of course it also helps that the whistle can result in either reward or reprimand. I mean, when was the last time a yell meant a kid was getting called to dinner or had earned a special treat? No wonder they don’t rush to our side when we holler at them! (Not that this stops me from yelling. I’m just saying…) I use the same whistle for rewards or reprimands, so the kids don’t know what they’re gonna get until they show up. And (somewhat surprisingly) they always show up. I guess the curiosity kills them.
I haven’t gone all Christopher Plummer on them and developed distinct whistles for each of them, but who knows? Maybe that’s next.
Whatever gets them into a straight line.
3 comments:
LOL if it works why not?! :)
This is absolutely hillarious!!! Great writing; I had so many funny pictures running through my head!! mamasmama
Whistling is for DOGS!!! My father used to whistle to let us know when he was home. I hated it. Your children are humans with given names. Please do NOT treat them like animals. They may grow to resent the way you treat them like an animal. I vowed that I would never whistle at any child, because it is very inhuman treatment. Think about it!!!!
Post a Comment