Wednesday, May 17

What Am I – A Trained Monkey?

That can perform on demand? Or maybe perhaps one of those motivational speakers that even though called on a moments notice is able to deliver a crowd-pleasing, feel-good speech. That’s how I feel anyway. (Without the ability to motivate, that is.)


You see, I have not yet unpacked from my trip. We got in late Monday evening. Actually, we weren’t supposed to get in until late Tuesday evening – so we were in fact ahead for once. But maybe that’s a bad thing. I’ll tell you why…


I recently received a calling at church to be on the Enrichment board. Enrichment is a meeting for women in my church ages eighteen and up held on a weeknight. Sort of a social get-together. This year the program changed to four meetings a year instead of one meeting every month. This calling would be no problem.


Now back to the story: I get a phone call late Tuesday afternoon from the leader of the Enrichment board. Maybe they didn’t have enough food volunteers, I think. No problem! I could bring some nibbles. Here’s how the conversation actually went:


Leader: Would you mind teaching a class for enrichment?

Me: Enrichment this Thursday (as in less than two days away)?

Leader: (with no sympathy) Yes.

Me: (extremely long, extremely awkward pause)

Leader: You’d actually be more of a discussion mediator. We need someone to take control of the open panel discussion on money management and budgeting.

Me: (slightly reassured) Sure, I could do that.

Leader: Great. It will be about 20 minutes. You’ll need to prepare something for the first five or so and then lead the discussion for the remaining 15. There will be about 40 women there… if you want to make handouts.

Me: (Handouts? 5 minutes of prepared material?) Okay.


Awhile back, Bright One and Nutella both posted about the problems they have saying no to people. I sooooooo fall into that boat.


That is why instead of unpacking and caring for my sick Alexander (too much semi-vacation) and Dylan (apparently picked up the illness Lij took with him on our trip – more about that later), I will be franticly trying to find something meaningful to say about budgeting and money management. To forty women. Ages eighteen to aren’t you dead yet. Who drive anything from incredibly beat-up, years-out-of-date minivans to the latest thing Lexus has to offer in a coupe. Yes, this will be NO problem. (I laugh sarcastically).


So, got any ideas for me? If you could give one piece of money-management/budgeting advice, what would it be? Oh, and I need this by 4pm EST/1pm PST. Tomorrow. Thanks.

9 comments:

the lizness said...

hmmm. I hope I met the deadline. One piece of budgeting advice I would give would be to budget in fun time and blow money. Because it is very difficult to stick to a budget with which you don't see immediate results.

Take it away, Jessica.

Kathryn Thompson said...

I love the way you describe the diversity in your ward. That is hilarious. I would have to say is set up a definite system for handling it. Give them a few ideas, but make sure they pick one they like and stick to it.

The word verification says "sqzme."

Millie said...

Use Marvin J. Ashton's "One For the Money" booklet - someone in that room is going to benefit from it immensely. It should be in your meetinghouse library. It'll definitely take up 5 minutes if you just go through the steps he talks about.

Maybe you'd like to assign others to talk briefly about different money topics that can be discussed - pick a frugal mom who stretches a small food budget, someone who can talk about savings, someone who can talk about cheap dates ... you can change topics every 5 minutes.

When in doubt, delegate. :) Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My advice could go on for a while (I mean longer than I am going to go on for), but I will spare you the full-length version. After observing many people who seem to have problems in this area who seem like they should know better, these are my tips:

1. Pay off your credit cards each month. You hear it all the time. But just remember what you'd rather be spending money on than giving away money, which is what paying interest basically is. One thing my parents taught me when I first got a credit card was to treat the card like it was part of my bank account and don't buy anything unless I had money in the bank. That way I knew I had the money to pay it off each month.

2. Don't buy name brand unless it's really worth it. Money is about trade offs in my book and a person should decide if they really want Ralf Lauren jeans for $80 or Old Navy for $25 or Frosted Mini Wheats for $4 or Shredded Mini Spooners for $2.50. I often think what I'd rather be doing with that extra $55 or $1.50, especially because those choices can add up very quickly.

3. Don't eat out. This one boggles my mind. With a tip, that $35 dollars could buy a whole lot of food at the grocery store. Every once in a while is fine, but it has really surprised me what some people consider as "not very often". We're talking, they think they're doing well if they only go out once or twice a week. $35 x 4 = $140. Even $25 x 4 = $100. What I wouldn't rather be doing. My idea of every once in a while is once a month or for us, once every 3-4 months. Same goes for movie theaters - why not rent on video for half the cost of one ticket and everyone can watch it?

4. Pay tithing. First. Obvious, but it requires discipline. You also realize how much you're taking in and have to realize what is going out.

5. Save for retirement. If you have the opportunity to contribute to a 401k, do it! Especially if your employer matches - it's free money! 100% return! I don't understand people who don't do this. What a waste!

6. Have an allotted amount of play money each month and stick to it. It can carry over each month so you can save up. J and I have play money for each of us and also some money set aside for dates/activities. It's not a lot, but it is very nice knowing that is there so I/we don't feel trapped and not able to spend money on something I want, even if I have save up for it.

7. Evaluate your needs verses wants. In our society, this is actually hard to do, because we are so rich and things are very abundant here. Do you really need cable? Two cell phones and a land line? Another shirt? Someone to mow your lawn for you? A newer car?

8. Visit another country (and not at a resort). It is very eye opening to realize we are so blessed here - in voluminous amounts. It really helps put things in perspective. Better yet, live in another country for a while. This isn't a practical suggestion for a lot of people, but if the opportunity comes along, grab it up!

9. Turn off the television. Sure you may need some unwind time, but why not unwind while with your spouse talking about your day? This is J and I's favorite part of the day, honestly. Also, I frankly wonder how people have so much available time to watch TV when there are so many other things to be done and talents to develop, etc. There are so, so many wonderful things to be doing besides watching TV. Not only that, but it is difficult to find decent, uplifting programming. And then there are the commercials. Talk about distorting needs from wants. I'm not anti-TV by any means. I grew up in a TV loving family, but like spending money on Ralf Lauren jeans, I'd rather do other things with my time. Time is also about trade offs.

10. Before you purchase something, remember how much it costs. By that I mean, realize how long it takes to earn the money you are using to buy that item. If you are working or your spouse is working, they have a certain amount of money they make an hour, even if they're salary (you can get a good estimate). If someone makes $40,000/year, I figure, divide by 50 weeks, then divide by 40 hrs/week = $20/hour. Or even better, do after tax amount per hour (can you tell I'm a tax accountant?). $40,000 x .75 (25% in taxes). Divide by 50 weeks and then by 40 = $15/hour. Remember the daily grind or your spouse's daily grind and how hard they are working. Is it really worth an hour of their time or more at work to buy that item? When I was in high school and college and was making $6.25/hour, just buying a $20 shirt took over 3 hours of my 20 hour work week, you can bet I thought twice and three times about whether it really looked good on me or whether I really needed it. It also put things in perspective for saving several thousand dollars for college, which I did. (Or paying off our mortgage now). Again, the trade offs. Not saying you shouldn't have good clothes to wear and so forth, but you have to decide what you value most and realize it will be at the expense of other things.

Well, that's my very long soap box. Good luck! I'm impressed you said yes to doing this. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

On #3, eating out, I meant to say that even eating out once a week, you spend $35 x 4 = $140, etc.

Anonymous said...

Go find the copy of The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need that I gave your husband for his birthday last year. The opening chapters have some good advice (maybe save the later chapters on buying/selling stocks on the margin for another time).

Patti said...

Oh man! I am so sorry I missed the deadline. By now you are probably in the thick of it, doing great. I am so sorry you got sucked in though! Better luck with the no-saying next time...I know I am still struggling!

Anonymous said...

Hey, yo patent mama, glad to see you finally discovered a name that corresponds with this neighborhood of blogs.

Let's see, finances... I would also recommend The Only Investment Guide... Although I would temper that with the parallel viewpoints found in many articles on www.Fool.com, or the Motley Fool's You Have More Than You Think. The knowledge is out there, you just need to spend a little time harvesting it.

Grammy said...

I got nothin'. Sorry! You will do GREAT!

And thank you for saying yes. Sometimes we just need someone who will say yes and then do the job. It's the "yes, sayers" who move the church and the world forward. Go you!