With just over four weeks left to go in this pregnancy, I should probably be nesting right about now. You know: gathering soft, fluffy things around me, hanging curtains in the nursery, deep-cleaning the insert-obscure-corner-of-the-house-here, sewing a mountainous layette. But the closest I’ve gotten is finding a sweet high chair at a thrift store for a steal this past weekend.
Oh, and I bake. Every. Day. Alexander’s coworkers can attest to this as they’ve been benefiting from my gestational craziness. There have indeed been buns in my oven this pregnancy. And bread. And cookies. And muffins. And cake. In fact, Alexander told me yesterday that his friends at work have begun placing orders. That’s fine with me. Since I’m obsessively driven to be culinary right now and Alexander is obsessively driven not to have all my creations stay in our house, I might as well give the people what they ask for.
However, in the back of my mind, I feel I should be doing something more productive with my strangely focused, but limited energy reserve. Like cleaning, for example. Now that would be a positive, non-caloric, no-credit-card-required way to channel my nesting drives. And my house would be clean. For once. But the closest I’ve gotten is deleting messages from my inbox.
I was down to just twelve emails in my inbox over the weekend. This number does not include all the mail that’s neatly filed away in folders, just the ones that I still have to “deal with” in some way. But twelve (for me) is a very small number. I felt for a moment that, even with my compulsive baking and non-existent cleaning, I had something – one thing – under control.
Then I opened my email this evening to find that somehow my inbox had swelled back up to 19. When did this happen? None of them are new emails. Are they breeding? Have my kids somehow figured out a way to hack into my computer and mess up my inbox like they mess up my house? And if I can’t even handle keeping my inbox tidy, how am I supposed to handle an entire house? And four kids? Sigh.
If you’ll excuse me, I suddenly feel the need to eat one of the freshly-baked oatmeal raisin cookies sitting on my kitchen counter.
1 comment:
Sounds like you're doing wonderfully! What is it about that nesting instinct anyway? I cleaned everything when my first was due and only managed to secure a place for my second to lay down.
After four children you'll next want to focus on teaching them how to successfully leave the nest.
I'm done; want some help?
Post a Comment