Friday, September 18

Sometimes It Works, Sometimes It Doesn’t

Tonight the house was filthy. Fortunately, we just got a new vacuum (not happy with the new one either, but that’s a whole other post), so I could do something about it finally. But, still. Filthy.

So I called all my little slave laborers together. Dylan was the first to report, which gave me an idea. I announced that he would now be the first one to choose. Elijah and Nicholas promptly scrambled to attention. I saw on the floor clothes, books and DVDs, and toys. These were their choices. Their objective? Clean-up. So I could vacuum.

Dylan enthusiastically chose clothes and proceeded to be the first one done, even volunteering for “extra credit” trash pick-up. Lij selected toys and had a little too much fun with them on the way to the toy box, but he too eventually got done. That left Nicholas with books and DVDs. Note to self: Present at least one more option than there are children. Nicholas did not at all like being saddled with the “leftovers” and proceeded to run around the house screaming and being tripped over.

But never you fear. Turns out Maddy was a little jaded at not being forced into servitude. So she helped me round up all the books.

My floor is now vacuumed (well enough). And the kids are in bed, packed off to slumber-land with an extra dose of worn out, for good measure.

Sometimes it works.

2 comments:

katierose said...

oh, it's nice when it works! what kind of vacuum did you get? i LOVE my dyson :)...it never disappoints!

Tracy said...

i second the dyson. i remember vacuuming with my old one and then I'd be playing on the floor with the boys and I could see the dirt/ hair still on the carpet! If it wasn't even picking up stuff I could see it certainly wasn't getting the rest. I finally convinced my husband that we needed a dyson, and I too LOVE it (not that I love the actual act of vacuuming, but love the fact that my labors are actually producing a much cleaner carpet)