Saturday, September 5

Beach Bummin’

We wanted to do something special while my dad and sister were in town, so we decided to take a trip to the coast. Our first since moving here almost five years ago. And my first time swimming in saltwater. Ever. (At least I made it before I turned thirty – barely!)

It was a first for the kids too. They all thoroughly enjoyed themselves, though I do think Maddy and Nicholas both appreciate the boundaries that a pool affords. (Or in Maddy’s case, a bathtub :)

The beach we went to is shallow for hundreds of yards out into the water and so we were able to really romp around and play and explore. Alexander even took turns with the boys flying a kite out in the water. We’re pretty sure people were jealous of that sweet set-up!

Dad was a little concerned about the possibility of sharks. Like me, he has an imagination such that it’s impossible to watch scary movies without being plagued for life with vivid memories. Unfortunately, he’s watched Jaws. Since I’ve adamantly refused to, I was not bothered by the water. But even Dad ventured out into the water a few times – just to say he had.

We all got wet. We all got burnt (it was overcast, so we were lax with the sunscreen). We all got to ride a ferry (though the younger three kids sadly slept through the whole thing as we didn’t have to leave our cars). And on the way home in the evening, we all got our bellies full of freshly caught gulf seafood. Delicious!

Even the shrimps that still had legs, tails, heads and eyes, thank-you-very-much!

No comments: