Elijah’s teacher said he’s already reading at the level that they except kids to have mastered by the very end of first grade. She said their class won’t be starting chapter books until the spring, but she thinks Lij would really benefit from starting them now. (We had already started him on them earlier this week.)
She also said that Lij helps her out tremendously by being kind and a friend to everyone. He is especially considerate of those who seem lonely or picked on and has been moved next to a little boy who is having a hard time adjusting to first grade. Since moving next to Lij, the little boy started talking again – something he hadn’t been doing yet this year because of shyness.
We also talked about Elijah’s focus issues – which we were well aware of! But through discussing it together, the teacher and I now feel that his lack of focus may be from lack of educational challenges. So his teacher is planning to “step up” his work and see if that helps with his focus.
I have to say, something about going to school and sitting in those little desks transports me right back. It’s hard to remember that I’m a parent now and a partner with the teacher. I just can’t shake the feeling that I’m about to get into trouble :) Hearing such wonderful things about my little first-grader sure did my heart good.
So I just had to do a bit of bragging!
2 comments:
and brag you must! it is no wonder that you have a brilliant, outgoing, kind son...look at his mother!
Yay, Elijah! That is very fun news! Course, I knew it ever since he was a very little boy, noticing and remembering so many things ! He's my Elijah and I love him. Let us know how he makes out with the new "stepped-up" work at school. Mamasmama
Post a Comment