Almost immediately after publishing my first post, I received three comments. “Wow! Instant validation. I love blogging!” Only the comments weren’t from actual bloggers. They were from weird pseudo-bloggers trying to sell me something. The sentiments in these automatically generated comments sure boosted my self-esteem, but I was hoping for some genuine feedback. So, I fully understand its value.
However, every time I try to leave comments, I seem to get the longest one possible. Seven to ten characters, painfully squished together and all wiggly. I’ve seen good ones. I know they exist. Four or five in length, with reasonable font size and kearning, no italics. Why don’t I ever get this kind?
Its purpose is to thwart pseudo-commenters not actual ones. I appreciate it for riding me of insincere, computer-generated SPAC(comments) but must I be forced to squint EVERY time I try to leave genuine comments of my own?
And today’s special: The Post Within A Post. Read on…
Ten points if you figured out that my love-hate relationship is with the word verification feature on blog comment sites. (I wanted to write about the highs and lows of this feature today, but after a comment Alexander made to me last night I decided to use the above format to do so). In case you’re still scratching your head, I’ll explain now.
Last night I was in the middle of some semi-deep conversation with Alexander when he started laughing.
“What?” I asked.
“I love talking with you. It’s always a surprise. You start out talking – about what I have no idea – and then by the middle of the conversation I’ve caught up with you. It’s so fun. It’s a like surprise every time you talk. It’s so cute. I love it.” (paraphrased, but that was the gist of it)
In my defense, my mind works very quickly. Frequently I’ll say something and then think through several topics mentally before I begin speaking again (usually on a completely unrelated subject). Sometimes I find it mildly annoying that he can’t keep up.
In his defense, he’s probably 100% accurate in his description of how I communicate. And he has every right to be more than mildly annoyed at having to constantly decipher my code. Instead he thinks it’s cute.
So I thought I’d use the above post to give you a taste of what poor Alexander has to deal with on a daily basis. What did you think?
3 comments:
I knew what you meant pretty much right away, but then again, it seems we think/talk in a similar fashion. My husband has quite a time keeping up with me. Usually he does well, but sometimes when I've made a mental left turn without signaling, he says "wait, I'm not on your bus." And I have to try to back up and explain myself. Which can be difficult.
Good post.
I hate word verification because of all weird they are, but I understand the necessity. I am also the same way with talking with my dh. My mind moves fast and therefore conversation is entertaining.
I followed right along with you. My poor husband has to put up with me too, and sometimes I will start on one subject and keep talking (without any response from him) all the way through to a different subject entirely, and not even notice the subject that I left behind. Meanwhile, he has like ten things he wanted to say on the previous subject but can't, because they would be off the subject.
Post a Comment