Thursday, March 9

…But I Play One In Real Life

Responding to a comment on one of my posts a while back, I happened to mention that I don’t consider myself a quilter. Grammy Rules then kindly noted that since I’d completed one quilt (I’ve actually completed somewhere in the neighborhood of five), then I should consider myself part of “the club.” That got me thinking. Why is it that I don’t feel like a quilter? Probably because I do it for fun (not that quilters can’t quilt for fun). I’m just not all that serious about it. My mother-in-law is a quilter – and she’s excellent at it. I just happen to make quilts. I’ve never had anyone show me how. I’ve never taken a class. I don’t know any fancy stitches or the correct terms for things quilted. I just taught myself the basics and slap things together.


This quilter/non-quilter debate (all internal, of course) lead me to ponder the other areas in my life where I do something – sometimes well – but still don’t consider myself a that-thing-er. And because this week (for some inexplicable reason) has become the week of the bulleted list here at sweet mama entropy, I proudly present another list. This time it’s a list of all the things I’m not really (at least in my opinion), but I play at being in real life:


  • Chef – I get lots of practice at this one, but have never been formally trained. I watched a lot of food network and other people cooking. Now I feel confident enough to play around with recipes and even create some myself – but I’m not a chef

  • Writer/Poet – I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I’ve even been published (as an award winner) in an international magazine. But I don’t think I’ve got the chops to do this professionally. I also don’t know if I have anything much to say.

  • Singer – Although I have done this in public, it’s not something I aspire to do (no American Idol in my future). I’ve never taken voice lessons – not that I wouldn’t consider doing so – but when my boys are in the mood for a serenade that doesn’t seem to bother them any.

  • Sewer/Quilter – I think I’ve covered this one: I make clothes (some of which I end up wearing). I make quilts. I probably couldn’t make money selling either.

  • Comedienne – Not stand-up anyway. But I do have an uncanny knack for getting Lij and Dylan to laugh. And I hope you all find me at least semi-amusing.

  • Pianist – Self-taught, I can play select songs with my right hand only (alto line not a guarantee). I would love to be one of those lucky folks who can sit down in front of a new piece of music and make it sound great first try. I am definitely not one of those people.

  • Photographer – I love photography. I think I have a good eye for composition. Alexander and I took our own engagement pictures and have done several engagement or bridals sessions for other since (not to mention all the family portraits every time my in-laws get together). But I still struggle with all the technical stuff to remember. And having someone trust their memories to my photographic skill? Too much stress for this little poser!

And now, three things I would consider myself in real life:


  • Mother – Although my kids might not recommend me to their friends, I’m sure they would hire me again.

  • Artist – You name it, I’ve made art with it. From computer to clay, from welding to watercolors, I can manipulate it and make it beautiful. Or at least make it art. Because art isn’t always beautiful. But that a whole other discussion.

  • Teacher – After three years of college and a semester student teaching, I have the degree to prove it (even if I’ve never used that degree to work outside the home).

Now it’s your turn. What do you enjoy doing or consider yourself good at, but just don’t feel like part of “the club?”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this, and I'm going to copy you in a post today or tomorrow.

Unknown said...

My thing is scrapbooking...I do well keeping up with it, but I know there are many pages out there better than mine. I wouldn't consider myself qualified enough to teach scrapbooking because I don't stay updated with all of the latest supplies and techniques. I basically stick the picture on a page and add some stickers...but the memories are there :-)

Kathryn Thompson said...

I feel the same way about so many things in my life. People will say, "Kathryn is a sewer" and I think, "I just sew and I make so many mistakes." It's the same with other areas too.

I love this post and the title is great too.

Grammy said...

I don't know about the other areas of your life, Jessica - but from reading your blog, I would definitely say that you are a writer and a comedienne. You have a style of writing that is always great to read and a way of finding the humour (Canadian spelling) in every day situations.

Anonymous said...

You write frequent, lenghty blog entries, but you don't know if you have anything to say?