And I don’t know if it’s from the book (because frankly I’m too tired today to look it up). But all day I’ve had that line of Bilbo’s from “The Fellowship of the Ring” movie running through my head. Bilbo is feeling tired and says he feels “like butter scrapped over too much bread.”
That’s my life today. Like budd-a (insert heavily phony Brooklyn accent here).
I’ve been pulled in so many directions. All of them good and worthy, but it just left me feeling spread too thin. And I realized I hadn’t even gotten to spend much time with my boys, even though they were with me the whole day. I hugged Lij extra hard and extra long at bedtime to make up for it. And he’s still young enough, and sweet enough, that he let me. And said he loved me too, mommy.
I especially like Bilbo’s quote because there is in no way something lacking about the butter. There wasn’t “not enough” butter. It was all that stupid bread’s fault. Too much of it, I tell you. Just like my day. There was just too much of it. I, on the other hand, was just perfect.
There’s nothing I like more than hot buttered bread. But not tonight. Tonight I just want to go to bed.
Hopefully, I’ll have something more profound to write about tomorrow.
1 comment:
Do you feel compelled to post something five days a week? If so, why?
Post a Comment