Wednesday, July 1

Missouri Reunion 2009: In Prose

Well, it’s been a few years since we’ve really put ourselves through the torture of an extended family road trip (or flight, for that matter). And that can mean only one thing…

It’s vacation time!

That’s right. Vacation.

It’s funny how a word that was once so beloved to me has taken on an entirely different meaning since I’ve had kids. The word vacation used to conjure up images of lying on a beach or hiking peacefully through the mountains. Now all I picture is the circus coming to town. Do you know how much work it is to take this show on the road? But for a few select occasions making all that effort is infinitely worth it. And one such occasion is when my mom’s family has a reunion.

So, last week, we overloaded the car and headed for Missouri. And I must say, being trapped in the car for fourteen hours with four kids the drive was not as bad as I’d feared it might be. (Translation: It could have been so much worse.) And once we got there, we had so much fun that we were able to forget that in a few short days, we’d be doing the same thing all over again.

But in all seriousness, as always happens when my mom’s family gets together, we had so much fun!! We laughed. We cried. We laughed till we cried. We missed those who weren’t able to come and embraced those who could. We celebrated 50 years of life, 25 years of marriage, and the beginnings of a new life together. We played music, sang songs, ate (really good) food, swam in the river, picked blueberries, and just generally had a blast!

It was only when the cars began to be loaded and the family began departing that we were sad.

(And only partially because of the fourteen hour return trip that awaited us.)

2 comments:

katierose said...

oh, how i can relate to that! we are leaving for hawaii in 2 weeks, and i'm already thinking of what tricks i can put up my sleeve to keep mia and george entertained on the flight and drive that awaits us once we land. BUT, these are the memories that our kids will remember the MOST! and it sure is worth it, even if we come out on the other side with a few more grey hairs.

fresh food nancy said...

It makes me cry to think of you all leaving. Although I was pretty tired, I began to miss you the minute you got in the car.
I can't wait until next time.
It was an unusually momentous reunion this year, with all the milestones and even an ENGAGEMENT!