Monday, February 6

The Family That Bargain Hunts Together Stays Together

Alexander has inherited his mother’s good genes. They can both find amazing deals in thrift stores.

I go into one of those stores and am greeted by that smell that only a second-hand shop can produce. Immediately, I am thrown off my game and can manage to see only cluttered piles of other people’s cast-offs. Alexander can go into the same store and find a $40 game, brand-spankin’-new-in-the-box, for $5. His Mom can go into the store and find a might-as-well-be-new Graco double stroller, which sells used on ebay for over $100, for $15.

They have a gift. It’s almost frightening to be in their presence sometimes.

I’ve gone thrift storing with my mother-in-law to try and learn her power, but she never seems to find anything when I’m with her. I seem to kill the superpower.

I’m kryptonite for the super bargain shopper.

Tonight, Alexander took me and the kids to go see a desk he had scoped out earlier at an area thrift store. He had described the desk to me and it sounded great. (He is not one to exaggerate the aesthetic state of an object). However, when we get to the store, the desk has inexplicably morphed into another piece of furniture. The drawers don’t pull smoothly anymore and there is an unexplained growth protruding from one side.

And so we left the store empty-handed. My amazing ability to render useless the bargain shopping powers-that-be in my family had struck again.

On the plus side, Lij and Dylan fell asleep on the ride back. We were able to put them right to bed when we got home. And even though we didn’t get a new (used) desk, we did get to spend time together.

Next time however, I think I’ll suggest that the kryptonite stay in the car. No sense in wasting a perfectly good super power.

6 comments:

Amber said...

I have no super shopping powers either- I have friends that find great stuff on a regular basis at garage sales- but I see nothing but other people's clutter. It's a good thing though- I don't need more stuff! (I just have to remember that at target).

Stephanie said...

My mother is the ultimate bargain shopper. And she is resourceful too! She made these great curtains for her house out of a bedspread!

I only wish that I too had the gift...

Rachelle said...

I need to learn to bargain shop. ebay is as about as good as I get. I don't have that super power.

blackbird said...

I have a recurring dream wherein I am in a thrift shop and can find NOTHING to buy, but the people around me will be exclaiming aloud with delight if they find one treasure after another.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I have taught my kids the wrong way to shop. we walk into a store and there are 3 items almost exactly the same. Without a doubt I will pick the most expensive of the 3. My kids are the exact same stinking way. No super powers here...

mommy to six J's said...

I love to find deals even when I go shopping I come home and look at the orginal price and see how much I saved have a great day
Char