Yes, that’s right. It’s time again for another Fancy That Friday. Bet you just couldn’t wait until today, huh? So, without further ado…
I love fish. Quite a few of my favorite foods involve seafood of some kind or another. But eating seafood out is expensive, as those of you seafood lovers can attest, so how do you circumvent your craving without breaking the bank? Why make your fav fish recipes at home, of course!
Great, you say, I’ve saved some lolly but now my house is the smell-equivalent of Pike Place Market. Got any brilliant suggestions for that? Why, yes I do. Keep reading.
Did you know that fish is not supposed to have a “fishy” odor or taste at all? That’s right! The multi-sensory phenomenon we have termed “fishy” is actually never supposed to apply to fish. Fresh fish, that is. Good fresh fish.
Unfortunately, I have never lived close enough to a coast to have good fresh fish readily available. You may be in the same situation. You find yourself approaching your neighborhood grocer’s seafood counter and you can already smell their “fresh” fish. So, what’s a seafood lover to do?
Buy the fish - the grocer’s “fresh” fish if you don’t have time to thaw or frozen if you do. Then go home and plop your “catch” in a casserole dish filled with milk.
Thawing frozen fish (or soaking “fresh” fish) in milk will remove the “fishy” taste and odor. When the fish is all thawed or has soaked for an hour or two, pat it dry and prepare it as you normally would. (And throw out the milk).
By the way, you don’t have to waste fresh milk either. If you have some powdered dry milk lying around, mix some up. It works just as well (I’ve tried both types and can’t tell the difference).
Okay. Now it’s your turn. Share your stories about your love of seafood, your favorite seafood recipes or amusing stories about fresh or frozen food. And remember, tomorrow the truth will be told, so you still have one more day to guess.
4 comments:
I love seafood! Salmon is my favorite. We grill it at home, with butter, lemon pepper, and oregano. Yummy! Now you gave me a craving. I know what I am ordering during date night tonight.
What the heck!? You are amazing!!!! I love fish, hate fishy taste. I cannot wait to try this. Thank you, thank you, thank you for Fancy That Friday!
You were right. This is very timely. I don't think it would help with canned Tuna, though.
No, probably not :) Lij calls canned tuna "dirty fish," so I'm not sure much of anything can help with that.
Post a Comment