Monday, February 27

An Update From The Houses of Healing

And that’s being optimistic, considering there’s been no healing in this house so far.


Please excuse my absence this weekend. My mom and her husband drove for 27 hours to see me (and her adorable grandkids and my adorable husband) last week. I faithfully posted for several days when they first arrived, but as their time with us grew short, I began trading blogging for bonding. I hope you’ll still read me after a confession such as this.


We keep hoping that during one of these visits Dylan will let someone other than his parents hold him. He seems to be permanently in the “separation anxiety” phase when my family comes in from out of town. He’s so darn cute and squnchable. It’s just unfortunate that at the moment he doesn’t care to be squnched. Maybe someday.


But never fear. It was a productive trip. True to form, our family exchanged germs and we all ended up sick. The family that sneezes together… well, pretty much sneezes together. But at least there was lots of empathy to go around.


I love having family visit. I hate when they have to go. I also hate being sick during said visit and actually sleeping through their early morning departure. Almost as bad as being outrageously sick when Dylan was born.

Yep. We almost had to wear masks for the first two weeks of his life. Fortunately (Doctor’s word, not mine), I was sick too – not just Alexander. That meant Dylan had been exposed to my antibodies for the sickness while still dog-paddling in the womb and therefore we wouldn’t have to don protective face gear. I’m glad our illness didn’t put our newborn in serious physical jeopardy, but I still fail to feel fortunate about being deathly ill and having to give birth at the same time and then recover from both, but then again, I’m not a trained medical professional. I’m just a virus-prone SAHM.

I love my family. I’d give them anything I have – including my germs, it seems. So, thanks for driving down, folks. And have fun swilling expectorant on the return trip!

4 comments:

Kathryn Thompson said...

Feel better you guys. That is one of my biggest fears, giving birth while sick as a cheese. You are a trooper, not a storm trooper, just the good kind.

Patti said...

I hope you get well soon! I did miss your posts, but I am glad you got to be with your family.

That is scary, giving birth while sick...what could really be more unfair?

Anonymous said...

Yay! I finally got you to work on my aggregator. I'm excited to follow your blog!

Grammy said...

I'm really enjoying reading you, Jessica. You have a wonderful way of putting things, that's not only funny and true, but exceptionally "readable". Thanks for taking the time to share.