What you don’t know won’t kill you. But it also won’t help you win on Jeopardy. And so, I proudly introduce
Fancy That Friday, a (soon-to-be) weekly post dedicated to the dissemination of information, albeit largely useless (of which I seem to be in large suppy). Enjoy…
Utah and Jell-O enjoy a rich shared history, it’s true. Salt Lake City residents, for example, consume more lime jell-o than any city in the United States. But the jiggly stuff didn’t get its start in the Mountain West.
Did you know… the birthplace of Jell-O is actually a little town in Western NY called LeRoy? (And I’ve been there. Really, there’s not much to see.) But, LeRoy does boast the Jell-O museum and an annual Jell-O parade to celebrate this fact (the one about being Jell-O’s birthplace, not about me having visited).
Okay. I’ve shared. Now it’s your turn. Hit me with your best shot stories – hopefully amusing, at least mildly – about LeRoy (NY), SLC, UT or Jell-O (any flavor).
8 comments:
I don't have any cool stories, but I look forward to this new Friday fun!
jello's ok. just don't add carrots. mormons are crazy people (i'm one too)
I grew up in Utah and we only ate Jello on special occassions, lol. I actually didn't realize how much until my sister brought her boyfriend to Thanksgiving with all my aunts, uncles and cousins. There were at LEAST 8 things of Jello. And not just plain jello. Yummy jello with raspberries and such in it. (My fav: Orange Jello with Lemon Pudding whipped into it, mandarin oranges and cool whip on top. Deeelishh!!!!) lol
I have been to the Jell-O Fest in Provo, Utah.
Did you get a t-shirt? It's all about the t-shirt. I always wanted to go to "Llama Fest" in (I think Pleasant Grove?) UT for that reason. And if you're wondering, I do have a t-shirt from the Jell-O museum in LeRoy. Lime green.
I have been to Llama Fest. It rocked. No t-shirt but plenty of video...supposedly for a documentary...that never happened.
I have also been to LeRoy, NY but haven't spent much time there. Though I have dined in the old Railroad depot there.
I also remember being told some very funny stories by a LeRoy native and her father's underware factory.
Good old LeRoy.
JVDB
my mother worked as a tour guide at the jell-o museum for years. they have a section of the tour where visitors are expected to vote for their favorite flavor and it's usually something red -- like cherry or strawberry... but every july, without fail, the favorite flavor is lime jell-o. apparently a huge influx of mormons from utah come into the area throughout the month of july for the hill cumorah pageant (the founder of mormanism lived about an hour-ish east of leroy) and they all visit the jell-o museum and vote for lime.
funny enough, the grocery store in leroy doesn't carry every jell-o flavor. you'd think that they would...
Post a Comment